Tuesday, December 08, 2009

To Wrap or Not to Wrap...that is the question!

This picture is from several years ago. I know it's weird that I take pictures of wrapped presents, but I like it!

So, here is the question of the day. Do you all wrap Christmas morning presents...(hope there are no small children reading this right now) or not? This is a controversial subject here at our house, b/c Ben and I grew up differently in the wrapping department. I think they left Christmas morning unwrapped. My favorite story is Ben's brother, Rob wrapping everything in a big sleeping bag. Too funny! Not that Ben really cares b/c he doesn't have to wrap any, but he just thinks it's silly for me to go to all that trouble. HOWEVER...I enjoy it so much.
There are a lot of people that I know leave all of their Christmas morning presents unwrapped.
My mom always wrapped everything for us growing up. I can remember her shipping all of our presents down to Dickson where my grandmother lived. We always went there during Christmas when we were kids. If I remember correctly, each of us had our own wrapping paper, so we knew what gifts belonged to whom. AND...of course there was always a competition as to who had the most...Duff won almost always...of course...1st born child! :)

For the last few years, I have wrapped Sam's presents...not that it really mattered since Ben and I were the ones unwrapping them, but still. I am pretty sure that I will continue this tradition with the wrapping. I think that part of the fun of Christmas morning as a kid is unwrapping presents. Of course, the big big things, will remain unwrapped but everything else will be wrapped. It just makes me happy to have tons of pretty presents under the tree!

The only problem for me right now is that I am on WRAPPING PAPER PROBATION (so says my husband)! Not allowed to buy any more wrapping paper...and ribbon (if you can imagine me and my overindulgence...I have quite a bit)! I used to never overlap years using the same paper (ridiculous I know). I mean, REALLY, who cares if I wrapped your gift in the same paper as last year. I have gotten much better and just use whatever I have now. When I run out...I'll get some more. Wrapping paper and ribbon make me VERY EXCITED though.

Anywho, just wanted to get your thoughts on wrapping/not wrapping controversy! I like to hear what other people's traditions are.

Random, but I had to include a picture of these guys! YUM! When I was pulling up the presents picture...I came across this one. I think I need to make some of these snickerdoodles! I love to make them b/c they are SOOOO easy...and are made with stuff you already have in your cabinets. I like to roll them in colored sugars depending on the holiday.

Snickerdoodles (Better Homes and Garden Cook Book)
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

1. In a medium mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer for 30 seconds. A the 1 cup sugar, baking soda and cream of tartar. Beat until combined. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined. Beat in flour. Cover and chill dough about 1 hour or until easy to handle.
2. Combine the 2 tablespoons sugar (or very festive colored sugars) and cinnamon. Shape dough into 1 inch balls. Roll balls in sugar/cinnamon mixute to coat. Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in a 375 degree oven for about 10 -1 1 minutes or until edges are golden. Transfer to wire rack and let cool. ENJOY!

3 comments:

Whitney said...

When I was growing up Santa did not wrap the presents...but we each had our own "spot" that all of our presents would be displayed in. I loved it that way because it was so overwhelming and pure excitement to see all that stuff at once!! BUT I really think it is up to you and how much work you want to put into it! The lazy parents display...the type A parents wrap! I think I will be the lazy kind for sure!!! :)

Jenna said...

Ours was similar to Whitney's. The presents from Santa weren't wrapped and they were all in one "spot" for each kid. But, the presents from the parents were wrapped. This year, since Luke is still a little guy, I am putting all his presents (that will fit) unwrapped in one of those huge santa bags from PB kids and he can open the santa bag and find all of his presents there. So technically they will be wrapped, but not with paper :)

Angela said...

Glad you like Winter Snow! I just love it! Santa always left our gifts unwrapped. All the presents from our parents were wrapped, but Santa's were not. We are going to continue that tradition (mainly bc I do not enjoy wrapping and they aren't pretty when I do it). If it makes you happy, I say continue the tradition with Sam and Jack!