Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Christmas Shopping 101...and apparently a Dave Ramsey plug!

Christmas Shopping 101...I think I may need a refresher course!
Well, I guess that since today is December 1...maybe I should get a start on my Christmas shopping. YIKES! Not sure where the time has gone, but I have done NOTHING! I NEVER do this. I am usually much more on the ball! Today, Sam and I were out running errands and I made my first purchase...sad I know! What is wrong with me these days! I hear all of these people that are done (and wrapped...JILLINA)...and I feel so behind. :)

Oh well. I have a plan of attack, I just have to find the time (and energy) to get it done! I have tried to do much better than I have in the past. I have a tendency to go (a bit...okay A LOT) overboard! I just LOVE to buy gifts for people...it makes me very happy. We actually decided on a budget this year, so I am going to try REALLY hard to stick with it. I am a changed woman, I tell ya! Thanks Dave Ramsey! I know you hear me talk about Dave in a joking way all the time, but really, it has been such a huge blessing in our life! Ben has been a listener for years (and has attempted to get me on board - which I finally did) and we became debt free around February...and NEVER plan on going back! WHOOHOOO! It has been such an amazing thing for us...we are definitely closer and on the same page. LOVE IT! If you ever have a chance to take one of his Financial Peace classes...DO IT! You won't regret it...it's a life changer! We just got done with one at church and it was great! I would rather have a paid for car/no credit cards bills/etc over anything (monetarily that is)! It just makes you realize what is important in life...and keeping up with the Jones' is NOT one of them...at least not for us! It is also a great investment in your marriage....and family! We talk about money, etc without anyone getting defensive/arguing/anything...it's AWESOME! I used to think that "budget" was a bad word and was someone's (not sure who...the budget gods maybe) way of controlling me, but really, it is the total opposite. It is us having control over it (which you know I like)! :) The great thing about Dave's classes is that they are all spiritually based. The last class focuses on giving...what an awesome way to get everyone fired up to get on track of their financial situation...so we can GIVE IT AWAY! He emphasizes that all of our "stuff"/money/etc is NOT ours, it's our responsibility as Christians to take care of what we are given and share it with others!
Okay, not sure how I got off on a Dave Ramsey soapbox there, but I just want others to be blessed by it like we were. Okay...that's all I'll say about that!

On a sad note, I have to mention that my heart is completely broken for the Ezell/George families! I haven't been able to get it out of my head, so I had to mention. To spare details and for respect of those families/friends, I will just say that a beautiful, young, mother of 3 was tragically lost this past weekend. We went to college with them and everyone in the Lipscomb/Harpeth Hills/everywhere community is completely devastated! Please pray for those families and all of the extended family/friends that go along with them! They have a strong support system and just pray for peace and comfort for them in this tragedy! Love you all!

Hold your babies/spouses/family/friends a little tighter tonight and never miss a second to tell them that you love them! HAPPY DECEMBER...and happy start of the Holiday season!

No comments: