Thursday, July 23, 2009

First of many sewing projects!

So, we grew up with a mother who sewed LOTS of stuff for us. I think mom made a lot of her own clothes growing up. Sara and I had matching smocked dresses to wear to church, she made 3 of 5 prom dresses from high school, Halloween costumes, etc...and so much more. When we were little, she'd help us with little sewing projects, but I just never got into it. I always wanted to make stuff...but wasn't sure if my patience levels (which are pretty low) would be up for it! I am a fairly crafty person, so surely I can do this, right? A couple years ago NaNa and YaYa got me my very own sewing machine for Christmas! We didn't really have room in our old house to keep it out...and with working full time and having a baby...the sewing projects took a back burner. Nonetheless, NOW I have room to have it out all the time (in my little crafty room) and I can use it whenever I want. YEAH! **Sorry it's taken me so long, NaNa! :)**
All of that to say, when mom was here we started a little project for the kitchen. The window over the sink looked kind of bare and needed some color. So I thought we could make a little valance for it. I actually started it and mom did the finishing while I was at VBS last week. I was so proud of myself. I know it sounds silly and so simple, but I think this is going to be just a first of MANY MANY projects! I kept telling Ben..."look what I made"...like I was 4 years old! Now if I could just get a monogramming machine! HA! Yeah right...pretty sure that's not in Dave Ramsey's plan of things that I "need"! :) Here is the finished product! THANKS MOM!

"Look what I made!" Not sure if you can tell what the fabric is from this picture, but it's a red/golden Damask. Very pretty! Matches the curtains in the breakfast room, the tile backsplash...and of course the red couches (which I wish I never talked Ben into buying them...b/c I really do NOT enjoy them anymore)! That's another post all together! :)

1 comment:

chris anne said...

way to go! it does feel really good to finish a project like that. i made a pillow and a valance for campbell's big boy room and felt very proud of myself. and i may have to disagree with dave, an embroidering machine is a "need" :)