Thursday, July 01, 2010

THUMBS UP!

In the words of "Fat Bastard" from Austin Powers..."I'm dead sexy!" (sorry for typing that mom...but there were no other words) :)
Okay...so this is a LONG story and I can't type that much with this silly thing on my hand...so here's the short version. Went to the doctor today because I have had crazy, severe pain in my wrist/thumb since Jack was born. I had the carpal tunnel when I was pregnant with Jack but it went away pretty soon after he was born. I've just assumed this whole time that this was leftover from that and would go away. Well, it hasn't. Doctor said that I have this DeQuervain's Syndrome/Tendonitis (aka..."mother's thumb")...which is an irritation/inflammation of the sheath covering the tendons at the base of the thumb. Apparently a lot of new moms have this from holding your baby a certain way. Clearly, I need to find a new way to hold the baby! Yeah right! Also, they did an xray and they found some arthritis in both wrists too. So treatment for this lovely thing is this AWESOME thumb splint (which I need for both hands) and some anti-inflammatory meds. Doctor told me to wear it everyday. Don't think I will be sporting the thing much in public, but will wear it whenever I am home. It is REALLY awkward and not very comfy...plus it looks like I am giving a permanent THUMBS UP! So silly! I picked it up today and had the ladies at the medical supply place cracking up. Apparently, my short, squatty hands don't exactly fit the "one size fits all"! My thumb doesn't even stick out the top of this contraption...so funny. I wish they made kid sizes. Oh well...my thumb is not moving, so I guess it is okay.
You blackberry/texters better watch out b/c I was reading up on this and they said that the new nickname for this thing is "blackberry thumb" from people texting so much! Crazy...guess you may see more people sporting this HHHHOOOOOTTTTTT splint in the future!
Anyway, just thought I would share my silly little woe! Boy...once you turn 30 it sure does go downhhill huh?

1 comment:

dinah lou said...

I, too, noticed the pain in my R thumb shortly after Will was born. Never saw a doctor and actually thought it might be Dequervein's (sp?) because I did some PT tests on myself to figure it out. Already back at work and it's gotten better because Will takes a bottle the majority of the time. I figured out that the way I was holding my BIG baby boy while he was nursing is what caused it :)Been taking OTC anti-inflammatories to help with the pain. Hopefully, I can manage to avoid the beautiful thumb/wrist splinting treatment. I hope you don't have to wear it for long...