Wednesday, August 25, 2010

To Pee or Not to Pee...

So sorry for the cheesy post title there...I couldn't resist! Sooo, you can tell by the looks of this chart that Sam did a GREAT job with potty training last week. I decided Thursday would be the day...and after a few accidents that morning he pretty much had it down. He asks (or announces to me) that he has to go everytime (little and BIG jobs). We stayed home until church on Sunday so we didn't have much opportunity to test it out too much, but he did so great. He went at church on Sunday (not on the big potty, but the small one and only when Ben took him). Then he used the portable one I got yesterday and today in the car. I think he is afraid of the big potty right now (even with the "Cars" seat thing I bought on it), but we'll work on that and just take it one step at a time (we are focusing on the small victories here). He's had a few accidents since but nothing major. He really likes carrying the potty to the big toilet to flush (pretty sure eventually I'm going to be sorry I let him do this). Ha! The child has had A LOT of M&Ms this week...and I am SO proud of him. I was COMPLETELY nervous about potty training him. Sam has been known to be a bit stubborn (weird...wonder where that comes from)...and if he doesn't want to do something, it's NOT happening. There's no treat in the world to get him to do it. So, naturally I was frightened! I can understand...I'm the same way, so at least I can sympathize with the way he feels and try to turn it around and make it ALLLLLL his idea. When he's "on board" though...he is AMAZING! He caught right on to the potty thing...this is one proud mommy.

I understand that we haven't even been doing this a week, so I may be speaking prematurely here, but hopefully not. We had lunch with our friends Katey and Alayna today and he and I had to run out to the car so he could potty in the travel potty (public toilet=not happening with him yet), but he did it, so I'll take what I can get. He starts MDO soon and I'm anxious to see how (if) he will go there on the big potty. His teacher assured me that he'll be fine. I know he will once he sees the other kids and gets comfortable with his surroundings/teachers there. He will enjoy the "ritual" that they go at a certain time everyday, etc...he likes his rituals (again...weird that he's like that...HAHAHA)...oh and he LOVES to wash his hands...thank you Lord!

All in all, we've had a pretty good week with it. I was dreading it so much and it was so much better than I thought (there I go again...anticipating the worst...I need to think more positive)! I never thought he'd be trained before he turned 3! YEAH! So thankful for Jack for just going with the flow and being so easy to deal with when I had to focus so much attention on Sam. He's awesome. Love that boy.

Okay, so enough about pee and pottys!

Happy Wednesday! 3 more days until Sam's big birthday party (well...its not BIG...just a few friends, but still)!!! Whooohooo! We are especially excited to be getting to see NaNa, YaYa and Mops this weekend! Sam LOVES his grandparents! We do too!

2 comments:

Angie said...

Congrats! I've heard that's more of an accomplishment for the parents than it is for the child! Way to go to both of you!

Jillina said...

I am so glad it went so well! Add this to your resume! I wanted too!! Love you friend!