Monday, March 30, 2009

Difficult dishwashers!

Who knew shopping for a new dishwasher would be so difficult? However...in our house, that's just how it goes sometimes!
So...our house was built in 1998 and we are pretty sure that these are the original appliances, which is fine. However, our dishwasher could possibly break the sound barrier. It is soooo loud...it sounds like a freight train in our kitchen! Plus...it doesn't wash very well either. We were originally going to just bite the bullet and replace all appliances at once, but now, considering the current economic times...we decided to do one at a time. So our appliances will be a bit mis-matched for a bit, but that's okay. Good things are worth waiting for right? So...out with the old and in with the new (eventually)!
The reason I post this is because I thought that purchasing a new dishwasher would be easy. Luckily, YaYa and NaNa just recently purchased a new one and YaYa had done a lot of research and found a really good one. So...we thought we'd get the same one since it met all of our needs...so Sam and I run down to Sears to purchase a Kenmore Elite (thinking this would be easy)...then the guy asks me...did you measure the distance from bottom of counter to floor? HUHHHH??? I actually did think of doing this, but just assumed they'd all be the same. OH NO! So I picked one out (it was so pretty...and had the adjustable rack and everything...loved it) and said I'd be back later. I had to have 34-35 inches...and guess how high ours was? 33 inches! WHAT? Apparently the tile accounts for the remaining space (they must have put it right down on top of what was there). So, long story short...there are pretty much ZERO dishwashers with this measurement. We probably could have done it, but we would have to replace some tiles...which we only have 2 leftover from the old homeowner (and need 3). So...we searched online and finally found ONLY 1 dishwasher with these dimensions! Seriously. I was at the point that I didn't even care how much it was, I was just trying to find one. Luckily, HHGregg had it (reasonably priced too), so we had to special order it...and it should be here in a few weeks! CRAZY?????
I am so excited to replace the old, ugly, LOUD one with a new, quiet and pretty stainless, I just never knew it would be so difficult! Hopefully it will fit!

Here is the ONE stainless dishwasher in the history of the earth that measures less than 33 inches (thank you GE)! Who knew?

2 comments:

Kelee Chrisman Hall said...

hey you should have checked with royal arms...i'm sure they would have a 33 incher you'd love:)

Becky said...

That IS crazy!! I remember at our old 100 year old house, there was only 1 size of fridge that would fit, and it was rare, so we had to special order that too! I'm sure you'll love the new one!!! :)