Tuesday, August 28, 2007

ALMOST Baby News!

Well we have hit the home stretch...FINALLY! We had a doctor's appointment today and had another ultrasound to guesstimate how big Sam will be. Well...he weighed in at 9lbs 6oz today...YIKES! Everything is going well and everything else looks just fine...he is just BIG!

So when we saw the doctor, NOTHING has happened since last week. No dilating...baby's head is not engaged...nothing...as the doctor put it...I am "uninducable".

Also, a mother who has the gestational diabetes and a baby guesstimating over 4000 grams (roughly 9lbs), then this is textbook for a c-section, so the doctor recommended this was the way to go for us. Apparently these babies carry all of that weight in the upper body area which makes for very broad shoulders and possibly major complications during a regular delivery, so they do not recommend going that route. There can be major damage to the nerves and possible broken shoulders, collarbones, etc...YIKES! No thank you...So luckily they made this decision quite easy for us.

Morale of the story, we will be making our way to UT Medical Center at 5:30 am on Thursday (August 30th) for a c-section at 7:30am...nice and early...hope all the doctors have had their morning coffee! I was wanting to know when all of this was going to happen so badly that now that I know...I am a little nervous (okay so a lot nervous). I feel confident with the doctor and everything, so I know it will all be okay. I know that 3 knee surgeries isn't close to a c-section, but at least I feel a little prepared as to what actual surgery is like and recouping isn't an overnight process, so I am gearing myself up for that too. They said to plan on 3 nights or so in the hospital, so Ben will have to watch the UT game from our hospital room...poor guy! :) However, it will be a great way to introduce Sam into the world...UT football!

We are SO very excited though that Sam will be here day after tomorrow (I can't hardly believe it). It all doesn't even seem real...I can't believe he will actually be here! Let me know if anyone has any c-section recovery advice...I will for sure need it!
I will be working for a little while in the morning to tie up loose ends and prepare to be out for 4 months (Thank the Lord for the TN Maternity Act) and then Ben and I are going to take the rest of the day off to (ATTEMPT) to relax, prepare and enjoy some time together before our lives change FOREVER! We can't wait! We will be sending emails and hopefully a blog post from the hospital with pictures of the baby, so keep checking! Please pray for us as we go through this scary, anxious, exciting, amazing, wonderful time! Love to all!

I also wanted to post some pictures that I just got from the surprise shower we had at my friend, Christa's house...it was such a good time and the girls out-did themselves...as always. Thanks again ladies...see you all soon!

Brooke, Ashley, Kate, Krista and Christa...love these ladies!

Mom and Dad-to-be!

14 comments:

Leslie Ware said...

I am so excited for you! I've been checking the blog like crazy! Alas, I have no C-section advice but I will be thinking about you on Thursday morning. I cannot wait to see baby SAM!!!!

Angie said...

Oh my goodness!!!!!! I'm all teary eyed and excited with butterflies in my stomach. It's really here for you! We'll be praying and can't wait to see the post with a picture of sweet baby Sam!!!!!!

Laurie said...

i ended up having an "unscheduled" c-section with Annaleigh and I am here to tell you it wasn't bad at all!!! You will all be in our prayers tomorrow morning! Can't wait to see his precious little face.

Elizabeth Miller said...

My advice to you, Let people help you! don't try to do it all on your own. Take care of yourself most so you can give Sam and Ben your best. I wish I was there to bring you dinner and give you hugs. I love you dearly and I continue to pray the Lord's great hand of protection and health over you and Sam. God's blessings on you my sweet dear sister! I love you dearly!!!!

Whitney said...

Aw, I'm all teary eyed too and I'm not even pregnant!! haha. I'll be praying for you, I have no c-section advice either, but you will be great and the Lord will watch over you and baby Sam!

Yay for mamma Kate!!

Love you!

Becky said...

yay! Sam is coming!!! Deep breaths and enjoy today! And you'll enjoy tomorrow even more I'm sure!!!! I'm so excited for you! Lots of prayers for you and baby, and I'll be anxiously awaiting the news! (and pictures!) :) Love you!

Abigail and Ansley said...

KATE! I am so happy! I got teary eyed and had chills because I was so excited that you are about to be a Mommy. PLEASE call me with any c-section questions! I am going to try to remember to call you on the way home from work since that is the only time that I am ever able to stop and talk on the phone! :) You are going to be a fabulous mommy!
I love you!
Congratulations!

chris anne said...

glad that you know the time finally. i know you've probably been anxious. i'll be praying for you and baby sam tomorrow. and don't worry, everyone is scared. you and ben just relax and enjoy tonight!!

Anonymous said...

Hallelujah! We finally got the internet today just in time for me to check the Baby Sam Updates!! I am praying for you all and can't wait for Sam's arrival. Love you Kate :)

Ryan and Michelle said...

Kate, I hope everything goes well and can not wait to see pictures of your sweet baby boy! Take care and good luck!

Rebecca Fua said...

kater...we will be praying for you and very anxious to hear an update. i didn't check blogs last night and i hate that i missed your update. i want to come see you and meet sam when you are up for a visit. love you!

Lindsay said...

baby sam will be here in just a few hours!! i'll be praying for you, but i know things will go just fine. i can't wait to see pictures of your little one!

Courtney said...

Congratulations! You life is about to change in the most wonderful way! You will be in my prayers!

Anonymous said...

I hope you guys are doing well and I can't wait to see pics of your little guy!! I am now a week out from my c-sec and I am still moving verrryyy slowly. So get rest, and get as much help as you can. Don't feel bad asking someone to help you with something because you simply can't bear the thought of standing up. Today is one full week and it was the first day I could actually bend over enough to shave my legs in the shower! So it is getting better!!