Thursday, June 18, 2009

New Basement color...

This probably isn't an exciting post to anyone but me (maybe my mom and Ben's parents), but I had to share a before and after of the basement painting that has COMMENCED!
One of the reasons that we purchased this home was b/c of this basement (at least this was Ben's main reason...mine was the kitchen/family room). Ben wanted a basement really badly and I just wanted an extra area (other than the family room) for us to go, Sam to play, etc! The basement is huge and we loved it, however, we knew that we'd need to do some work on it before we used it much (or at least that was my opinion).
During our inspection before closing...we realized that there was no heat/air down there (UGH)! But, this was in August/September and we never noticed it being hot or anything down there so that is good. It was quite cold this winter and we hardly ever went down there. Ben has our old tv down there and a couch/recliner from NaNa and YaYa's house, so he has his little man-area (complete with bar-top/sink/fridge). We also will eventually use this as an extra play area for Sam. There's a full bath down there and another room that we may eventually use as a bedroom/office...oh and a little craft room for me which I love.
Can't believe I am actually posting this area on here...it is embarrassing! :) So this was yesterday before I began the big CLEAN OUT/CLEAN UP! Right now, we just have all of Sam's giant baby toys and toys that we rotate in and out from upstairs. Not sure if you can see it, but there is a wood chair against the back wall. Ben's grandfather built it and it is very special to us. I definitely want to use it...so I think I am going to paint it (assuming no one in the family objects) and give it a little update so that will be fun! I also want to get some sort of wall storage unit but haven't found what I like yet (well I did find one but it was PB Kids and like a zillion dollars).

Anywho, Ben goes down to the basement pretty often, but I can't stand it. It feels damp and dirty down there. Silly I know, but when we moved in...the movers had filled the basement up before I ever got down there to really scrub-a-dub-dub! Yeah, I've since vaccumed many times, but never really scrubbed it down. Ben and I decided that we have this awesome basement and we need to actually use it to its potential. So...of course...step #1...PAINT! It is such a large (and narrow) room that I could not decide what to paint it. Ben said...NO BROWN! Bummer! I do get a little out of hand with the browns, so I wanted to do something different. I found a Benjamin Moore blueish/gray color and I really like it. It is already beige, but it has red/pink undertones and it is just UGLY!

There is currently laminate hard wood down there (it's not in the best shape though), so we will eventually carpet it to make it a little cozier. I bought a dehumidifier last weekend and it has really helped take the dampness/mustiness out of the air. We will soon be putting in an air conditioner too which will help with the moisture too.

When you go down the steps there is a bathroom and another carpeted room. This is from the doorway of that room looking into Sam's little play area. You can see all of my paint swatches...I tested out lots of colors! The people before us used this carpeted room as a tv room and the rest was a game room complete with fuseball table, pool table and dart boards. This would have been really fun (maybe like 5 years ago), but now we have to be a bit more practical.

So...long story short (why I can make such a long post about painting the basement...I'm not sure)...last night Ben and I started painting. While Sam took his nap yesterday I SCRUBBED that basement big time (vacuumed all the little bugs [gross]...mopped floors....scrubbed baseboards...etc) to get ready. So I already feel better about it being clean down there. We got a lot done and can't wait to see what the rest of it looks like. We got all of Sam's play area done and hoping to work more tonight. Ben offered to help (he normally does not enjoy painting) so that was awesome to have the help. I trim it out and he rolls. He needs NO LADDER since he's so tall. No fair. That's what takes me so long...up and down the ladder.
I haven't been down there this morning to see what it looks like in the daylight, but hopefully it will look okay. I liked it last night...it completely changed the look of it. Made it look fresh and clean and like a place I would actually want other people to come!

Ahhhh...nice and clean. I had bought some wood window blinds that Ben put in last night. Sooo much better...they made a big difference...plus I won't be freaked out about people being about to see in our windows (and yes...there is NO ONE behind our house, but I am paranoid)! You can't tell in these pictures but the walls actually do have a pinky look to them. NOT PRETTY!

I'll try to post more pictures as we make more progress but here is some from last night. Let me know what you think or if you have any play room ideas (storage ideas/decoration ideas/etc). it needs HELP BIG TIME since I have not done anything to it except piled up baby toys we don't use anymore, etc...so I'm going to have to get creative. Kind of fun to have a clean slate though, right!
Thanks for humoring me and if you are actually still reading...thanks! :)

And here it is...the soon-to-be finished product. This actually looks into that carpeted room (it currently has no name b/c we don't know what to do with it yet - probably basement bedroom/office) that I mentioned. It (and stairwell) will eventually get painted, but we are focusing on this room first. The blue/gray looks a bit darker in person, but it is really nice and fresh looking.
Sam's NEW play area. Promise I will jazz it up and make it fun for a little person to play in!

4 comments:

Cristie said...

I would do anything for a basement play area! Love the new color!

Angie said...

It looks great. A white Pottery Barn storage system would so POP against that wall and look FABULOUS! Sigh....only in our dreams, huh?!

On a side note- I did find lots of cute lined baskets at TJMaxx last week. They had that Pottery Barn look with the light pink with white polka dot fabric lining. Maybe scrounge around there for some inspiration???

Jillina said...

i LOVE it! I think maybe we need a big shopping trip together!

chris anne said...

you are so right, that before color was ugly!! much improved this time. i think you should paint something cute and fun on the wall where Sam's play area is. I'm so jealous of your talent and your motivation. why can't you live near me and rub off on me?!?