Well, most of you know this, but we had an eventful weekend! For those who might get queasy at the sight of deep cuts...please don't look any further. It's not that bad, but some people can't stand to look at it.
Anywho...so Ben and I were in our Sunday School class on Sunday morning when the nursery pager beeped (UGH). Ben went to go check on Sam (thank goodness b/c he is the CALM one). I just thought he was super tired/cranky...or maybe he fell and bumped his head or something and they wanted us to know about it. Well...the door of class opened and there was Ben with Sam and a big band-aid on his head, so I got out of there pretty quick. We went back by the nursery and thankfully one of the ladies is a nurse and had taken care of Sam once he fell. Apparently, he just fell and hit his head on one of the toy chest/shelves in there...and it split open (yuck). When Ben got there, she had already cleaned it off and had a band-aid on it, so it didn't look very bad when I saw him (or I would have probably freaked). She explained that he would need stitches and told us exactly where to go (Childrens...rather than just a regular ER) and told us exactly what they would do, etc. What a blessing that she was there that day! She was wonderful!
Anywho...so Ben and I were in our Sunday School class on Sunday morning when the nursery pager beeped (UGH). Ben went to go check on Sam (thank goodness b/c he is the CALM one). I just thought he was super tired/cranky...or maybe he fell and bumped his head or something and they wanted us to know about it. Well...the door of class opened and there was Ben with Sam and a big band-aid on his head, so I got out of there pretty quick. We went back by the nursery and thankfully one of the ladies is a nurse and had taken care of Sam once he fell. Apparently, he just fell and hit his head on one of the toy chest/shelves in there...and it split open (yuck). When Ben got there, she had already cleaned it off and had a band-aid on it, so it didn't look very bad when I saw him (or I would have probably freaked). She explained that he would need stitches and told us exactly where to go (Childrens...rather than just a regular ER) and told us exactly what they would do, etc. What a blessing that she was there that day! She was wonderful!
Here we are in the ER waiting for the numbing medicine. I know it seems gross to take a picture of that, but we figured we'd want to remember it someday. This is from my cell phone, so it's not great, but you obviously get the picture. So, we left for the ER. Luckily, we didn't wait too long. Once we got back to see the doctor, they explained that we had to wait for one of the plastic surgeons (I guess since it was on his face). They gave Sam some numbing medicine and then gave him a sedative cocktail. That was really the only time that I got really freaked out. Sam got really limp and didn't hardly move (I know this was just to relax him so they could do the stitches, but still a little creepy). Anyway, the doctor got there...I held his head, Ben held the rest (so he could look away) and he gave him three little stitches. No big deal (at least no big deal for them), but kind of a big deal for us! :)
Here is Sam (actually lying still) once the sedative started working. This just relaxes him so the doctor can stitch him up. Kind of creepy for the parents though. Such a sweet little boy! Sam did great and I think he doesn't even know they are there. He hasn't touched them or anything. He slept GREAT last night and is back to himself today. We have gotten several calls from folks at church checking on him. I hate that it happened there b/c I know the couple that was in the class felt terrible, but it could have happened to anyone...anywhere. We were thinking that this would happen eventually (since Sam is such a clumsy little boy), but just didn't know when. Everyone at church was so sweet to check on us.
Anywho...that was a long post for 3 little stitches, but it was a bit traumatic for us. We all survived and Sam is just fine. I guess this is just part of being a parent. I am very thankful that although we were in the ER...we weren't in there to be seeing a REALLY sick baby and thankful that Sam is such a healthy little boy. I can't imagine what people with really sick kids have to go through...and I pray we never do. I will definitely add those families to my prayers.
Anywho...that was a long post for 3 little stitches, but it was a bit traumatic for us. We all survived and Sam is just fine. I guess this is just part of being a parent. I am very thankful that although we were in the ER...we weren't in there to be seeing a REALLY sick baby and thankful that Sam is such a healthy little boy. I can't imagine what people with really sick kids have to go through...and I pray we never do. I will definitely add those families to my prayers.
7 comments:
Oh my! I'm so glad Sam is ok! I would have totally freaked out! And on a side note, water bottles are a big hit at our house too:)
Oh no! Poor baby!! Sounds like you were a good calm mommy and Sam was a good cooperative baby! Grace is sitting on my lap right now and immediately groaned when she saw Sam's little cut on his head and started patting my head like that would make him feel all better!! We wish you well soon little guy!!!!
Poor little guy! Glad he's doing so well now. I couldn't handle all that medical stuff.
Aww Kate - I think Sam needs me to cuddle him! Seriously he looks like such a toddler now - where is that baby??
Way to be tough, Sam...and Mommy and Daddy! :) Poor thing! We are waiting for that day. Please give him kisses for me!
It sounds like you ALL handled it very well! I know it was just 3 little stitches, but I would have been worried sick too!! With little boys, we probably will have a lot of episodes like this!! Sam is one tough little guy! love you!
OMG, poor Sam. Sounds like everyone involved was very brave. Hope he is feeling better!
Post a Comment