Mom, Jack and I hopped in the car a few Fridays ago to head to Anderson, SC for a 5k run in memory of my good friend, David Hortman. David was a helicopter pilot (and Nightstalker) in the Army...and was killed last August in a helicopter crash during a training exercise. In addition to an impressive military resume, West Point grad, and the list goes on...he was just an amazing guy...HILARIOUSLY funny...and loved his sister and mama so much. He is GREATLY missed. David and I go back to my freshman year in high school. Our churches spent many many mission trips, church camps, retreats, etc together (he only went to Lipscomb for a year before entering West Point). Through him I became friends with his beutiful sister, Jill who also ended up being my college roommate. His death is such a tragedy and I haven't been able to even type those words...it's almost like if I didn't type the words...or say them...that it didn't really happen. Unfortunately it did...and I am so thankful to have known and been friends with such a wonderful man and I'm so proud of the things he accomplished in his short 30 years.
Miss you David!
Capt. David Hortman.
Pretty easy on the eyes, huh? The ladies loved him. :)
The race was to raise money for SC Boys State. A program David was a part of when he was elected to Boys State in high school and continued to serve as a mentor/counselor for many years after.
Hanging out in the hotel with cousins (Sara, Chance and their girls came to run the race) and Jill and her little girl, Makenna. PRECIOUS!
All the kids. Makenna loved sitting on Grace's fluffy pink pillow and puppy.
Kennedy's birthday was the next day so we made some cupcakes and had a cupcake party that night in the hotel hallway (Jack was asleep in the room). So fun.
Mom, Sara and I with the kids.
After the race...hanging out with David's bike. Someone had ridden it to start off the race. Very cool
Me, Jill (and her adorable baby bump) and our mamas. We actually walked and pushed our strollers the whole way...maybe next year I can run...or at least run some of it. :)
Kennedy ran the whole 5k...quite the birthday gift! Can't believe she is 7 years old! Love her.
Beautiful ladies
Taking a picture with Jill and Makenna before we left on Saturday afternoon. SOOOOO good seeing my old friend and her mama! And of course, LOVED seeing my sister, Chance and the girls.
What a great weekend!


1 comment:
So good to see a pic of Jill and her baby girl! You look wonderful, Jill! How special to do the race together!
Post a Comment